A native of Japan, Keiko was born and raised in the rural farming community of Annaka, on February 4th, 1963, about 200 miles from its capital city, Tokyo. Keiko first began her work with brushes at the age of six while studying calligraphy under the tutelage of Master Okonogi. Japanese calligraphy is an ancient form of communication where the simple flick of brush stroke will completely change the meaning of a character. It requires strict discipline to master this art form, using brush strokes to translate characters into a communicable language. Keiko rose to the level of 6th Dan, a distinguished accomplishment in this art form. Now, Keiko lives in Houston, Texas with her husband and daughter.
Keiko began teaching calligraphy privately at age 20, and continued until she was married. In 1991, Keiko and her husband moved to the United States where she began studying 3D at Houston Museum Fine Art Glassell School of Art. Since that time, her artwork has been accepted and won awards in numerous juried national and international exhibitions.
Keiko has received over a hundred awards from international and national exhibitions. Some of these awards are:
- International Watercolor Convention in Fabriano, Italy, 2017
- Jack Bowen Award -Watercolor Society of Houston International Exhibition 2017
- Merit Award -Watercolor Society of Alabama 2017
- International Watercolor Convention in Fabriano, Italy 2016
- APT Critique Group Award -San Diego Watercolor Society 2016
- People’s Choice Award -Signature American Watermedia Exhibition 2016
- President’s Award -Watercolor Society of Houston Annual Members Exhibit 2016
- International Watercolor Convention in Fabriano, Italy, 2015
- Marilyn Fox Smith Award (Floral) - Signature American Watermedia Exhibition 2015
- Jack Bowen Award -Watercolor Society of Houston International Exhibition 2014
- WSA Signature Member Award -Watercolor Society of Alabama National Exhibition 2014
- Watercolor Society of Alabama Award -Georgia Watercolor Society National Exhibition 2014
- First Place -Watercolor Society of Houston Members Exhibition 2014
- China Shenzhen International Watercolor Biennial Award - National Watercolor Society International Exhibition 2014
- Signature Members' Award -Watercolor Society of Alabama National Exhibition 2013
- Anne & Samuel Seeman Memorial Award -Transparent Watercolor Society of America 2013
- Combined Donor Award -Signature American Watercolor Exhibition 2013
- Patrons' Fine Art Merchandise Award -Watercolor Society of Alabama National Exhibition 2011
- First Place -Watercolor Art Society of Houston International Exhibition 2011
- Best of the Show -Rio Brazos National Art Exhibition 2011
- Virginia & Fritz Weigand Award for Realism -Rocky Mountain National Watermedia Exhibition 2010
- William D. Gorman Memorial Award -American Watercolor Society International Exhibition 2009
- Quaintance Family Award -Rocky Mountain National Watermedia Exhibition 2009
- Elsie and David Wu Ject-Key Award -American Watercolor Society International Exhibition 2008
- 2nd Place -Watercolor Art Society of Houston International Exhibition 2008
- James McNeill Whistler Special Merit Award -Transparent Watercolor Society of America National Exhibition 2008
- Board of Directors Award -Watercolor Art Society -Houston International Exhibition 2007
- Nell Storer Memorial Award -American Watercolor Society International Exhibition 2007
- Award for Excellence Top 100 National Park Academy of the Arts -The Arts for the Parks International Exhibition 2006
- Guerilla Painter Plein Air Watercolor Merchandise Award - Jury of Selection for Traveling Show National Watercolor Society International Exhibition 2006
- Watercolor West Award and Jury of Selection for Traveling Show -National Watercolor Society International Exhibition 2005
- Award for Excellence -Top 100 National Park Academy of the Arts the Arts for the Parks International Exhibition 2005
- NW Swede Johnson Memorial Award -Rocky Mountain Watercolor Society Rocky Mountain National Exhibition 2005
- The Watercolor West Award -National Watercolor Society International Exhibition 2005
- Best of the Show -Wyoming Watercolor Society National Exhibition 2005
- Marie and James H. McFarlane Award Philadelphia -Watercolor Society of Philadelphia International Exhibition 2005
Keiko is a signature member of the American Watercolor Society, National Watercolor Society, Transparent Watercolor Society Masters, Georgia Watercolor Society, Philadelphia Watercolor Society, Rocky Mountain National Watermedia, Texas Watercolor Society, Watercolor Color Society of Alabama, Louisiana Watercolor Society, and Watercolor Art Society of Houston.
Her paintings have been featured in variety of watercolor magazines and art books such as The Art of Watercolor, in French and English editions, American Artist, Watercolor Artist, Splash 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, and 19, and Art Journey American Landscapes.
Keiko is also accomplished in the medium of acrylic and oil, frequently painting large canvases. Her watercolor, acrylic and oil paintings are in private and corporate collections. Some of these are, PanaPina Inc., Rowan Drilling Corp., Chevron Oil Co., Petris Corp., and Abercrombie Simmons and Gillette Inc.
Keiko shares her experience with other artists by holding classes, giving short-term workshops and conducting critiques.